Thursday, August 12, 2010

Just another day at the dealership

Today we bought a car. Yay! More accurately, I should say the bank bought 90% of a car that they will let kindly let us drive over the next five years while we buy it from them.

After three hours at the dealer that included a test drive, zero negotiating, much reading of documentation, 45 minutes on the phone with the car loan and auto insurance people, and two complimentary bottles of water, I drove away in our brand new silver Civic. One visit only, which was great since it took a frustratingly long 50 minutes to go drive the 8.7 miles up Santa Monica Boulevard to Hollywood.

This is after a week or so of going back and forth about what kind of car to get. We started talking about a used car like the previous two that I've owned. Then the used cars looked either like scary salvage titles or so expensive they got into new car range. So we switched to new car and ended up with the same car everyone we know gets for their first car. I am a little surprised that we succeeded in getting a car out of this process, and less price shocked than I expected, which I attribute entirely to the separation borne of using a car loan, which is also a new experience for me.

Yesterday's menu:
breakfast: french toast and bacon at Rae's Restaurant (I shall return)
lunch: leftover lentil soup
dinner: pork fajitas, jicama salad
birthday cake: lithuanian coffee cake

1 comment:

  1. I hope you will enjoy your new Honda and find it a useful asset in your transportation toolbox. I've enjoyed telling stories about our Honda Civic for years - maybe it's still on the road somewhere?

    ReplyDelete