Friday, August 13, 2010

Jicama Salad

For Becca's birthday dinner with a Mexican theme I made a Jicama salad side dish. Mostly I had picked up a jicama in that morning's shopping so had it on my mind.

Jicama is a mild crunchy root vegetable that can be eaten raw but is a bit plain by itself. It works nicely in slices in a crudite next to carrots or pepper strips, with a bit less solidity than carrots or radishes but still very much a solid object than can be carved into any shape or size.

I wanted a side dish that could be eaten with fork so cut the jicama into short matchsticks. I wanted the salad to have some bite so added in chopped red onions. To give a bit of the flavors of Mexican cuisine (or at least what little I know of Mexican cuisine as interpreted by norteamericanos), I put in cilantro and lime as well. A bit of salt and it was done. I thought about some chili, either powder or hot sauce and decided against it but next time might put in a few drops.

It was quite tasty, though I seemed to be the only one gravitating towards it the next day at leftovers lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment