Wednesday, September 15, 2010

MILK at the Zimmer

I sometimes struggle to make friends, preferring in a flowing social setting to sit on the sides and watch, with a buddy to kibbitz with if possible but more often without. I recognized and despised this in myself at middle school dances and would force myself to do something, anything, to get off the wall and out onto the dance floor. My best gambit with myself was playing hopscotch among the baubles of light bouncing off the school's disco ball. And occasionally it even turned into dancing with someone else.

The struggle and the gambits continue. I made myself business cards, just personal contact info, to hand out to parents met on the playground and at library storytime. I've even found a few dance partners.

One new friend invited Miriam and me to a meetup of M.I.L.K. LA at the Zimmer Children's Museum this week. She is too young for at least half of the exhibits of a typical children's museum but we found plenty to play with, if not always in the intended fashions. In the treehouse (just three low steps off the ground) there was a foot switch activated video embedded into the platform. She really liked the foot switch and never noticed the video. As did other kids of a variety of ages. The little metallic tinkle of the switch, its cover painted to blend with the planking, an unexpected movement underfoot captured just about everyone's attention.

And they had a magnetic wall (magnetic paint is AWESOME) mural and oversized animal and plant parts magnets to mix and match. And a strangely warm water table with some flow and boats and ducks and anchors and paddles and have I told you that one of the best parts of being a parent is getting to play with toys in the guise of "helping" and "facilitating learning and good play habits?" I'm not sure it is up there with giggly smile hug, but it is great. Also they had an airplane you could go in and turn the rudders and hit switches and levers and Miriam surprised me with her immediate understanding of the steering wheel.

Yet they only get 30-40,000 visitors a year. I don't quite understand why LA doesn't seem to visit children's museums, and as a result seems to have very few. There have been hints here and there of a marketplace of for-profit indoor gyms and playspaces, with and without classes, which might be where all those kids are going.

Yesterday's hike destination: Temescal Gateway Park canyon trail to the waterfall

Yestserday's menu:
breakfast:cereal?
lunch: Bay Cities Italian Deli salami sandwich with the works
snack: chocolate croissant and passionfruit smoothie
dinner: pasta leftovers

No comments:

Post a Comment