Sunday, September 19, 2010

Let Miriam be Miriam

I like playing with legos. Always have. Loved my job at MIT in part because it gave me access to a huge collection of legos. I even got to buy legos, hundreds of dollars of kits at a time, with the Institute's money.

I like playing with Miriam's duplo legos. We've only had them a week but I've gotten down on the floor sorting, stacking, building, taking apart, putting together, every day sometimes twice a day. I "help" her play with them, pulling them apart or turning her wrist to match up studs to hollows. I say the names of the colors and count blocks and make piles and we have fun together.

Luckily, I'm also an absentminded father who likes to read his webcomics and the newspaper while I keep a sort of loose eye on the baby on the other side of the living room. For in her quiet play, she has on her own and with a few cries of frustration mastered the taking apart of two connected blocks and the turning of wrists to match stud to hollow. I didn't think she could. And sometimes she can't. These toys have caused more frustration than most anything else she plays with.

She sticks to the 2x2s and only to stacking them into tall thin towers. She will put down a block that doesn't fit right in her right hand on the floor and turn it until she can grab it in the way she knows has a chance of matching the stack in her left hand. But it works and the stack grows and she sits there quietly surprising me. Gooooo baby!

Yesterday's run destination: around the overlook on Mullholland Highway above the Stone Canyon Reservoir

Yesterday's menu:
breakfast: Yom Kippur fast
lunch: Yom Kippur fast
dinner: rib eye, corn, greens salad, and kugel and it might not have been kosher but it was tasty

No comments:

Post a Comment