Monday, June 27, 2011

So that's about a year

I started this blog a year ago tomorrow. I was in the midst of leaving my job at MIT and heading into a vast unknown territory west of the Mississippi and beyond the office environment and thought, correctly as it turned out, that having a practice of writing would help to anchor me. It hasn't quite been a daily practice, but I've averaged a little less than every other day of practice writing, poems, mini essays, observations, reviews, and the occasional photo. It's been a good year for writing for me, which is after all something I intensely enjoy and find satisfaction from. I haven't put this many of my ideas to page since the year or two out of college before my epistolary habits degraded into mere logistics and planning.

That said, its time for a change. My goals for this blog floated around for the first month or two and settled on giving myself space to write, to think in a more sustained way than Miriamcare regularly allows, and to keep myself in the practice of adult communication. In the past few months, an uptick in my professional work has helped to cover my need for adult communication and extended writing, at least professional writing. So I think I have space to play around with the blog. Over the summer, expect a little more experimentation in its format and focus. I hope at the end of the summer to settle into something new and more finely tuned than the at times unedited random musings I've sometimes posted here. Depending on where things go, there even may be a wholesale overhaul and a new blog, complete with new name, look, and tone to replace this one. As Ira Glass likes to say, stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment