Friday, June 10, 2011

Actually enjoying poetry

I have rarely been much of a fan of poetry. But right now I have as bedtime reading The Poet's Corner, edited by John Lithgow. I looked it up after hearing his awesome rendition of Gertrude Stein's "If I told him" on Selected Shorts. The poets are quite familiar, Frost and Auden and Keats and Sandburg and such, and most of the poems are recognizable too. Mostly what makes them appealing is reading them outloud. I tend to skim when I read, which is fine for news (the fast is over) and novels but not so good for poetry. Saying each word means I read each word and I hear each word as I perform each word and make its meaning clear, both for my "audience," who are mostly asleep, and for myself. Also, perhaps, I'm older and wiser than in high school and college when last I read poetry.

Yesterday's menu:
breakfast: cinnamon toast
lunch: leftover Ezra chickpea dish with alphabet pasta
dinner: homemade fettucini with broccoli, chicken thigh cutlets, spinach salad (Did I mention that I bought a folly's worth of baby spinach because the five pound bag was only five bucks? Luckily most of that is in the freezer now.

No comments:

Post a Comment