Friday, December 10, 2010

Charitable giving

A few recent references to charitable giving, in no particular order:

One of the LA NPR affiliates, more local than most, is in the midst of a pledge drive. For a $100 pledge, you can get a complete archive of the WikiLeaks leaked documents, and do your part to ensure they remain available to all

The how-to book on non-profit fundraising Becca got me out from the library says special events are a lot of work. Not surprising. It suggests that if a supporter offers his manse, or country club, or yacht, for a fundraiser, thinking long and hard before accepting. If you think you have the extra volunteer support to run it, why aren't they already employed in other fundraising activities? If you don't, just imagine how much staff time it will take to organize.

Guidestar keeps sending me update emails. I've tried to unsubscribe, but it just doesn't take.

Yesterday's run destination: Montana Ave.

Yesterday's menu:
breakfast: miniwheats
lunch: cheesy potato
dinner: pasta and meat sauce

3 comments:

  1. 1. This is why I don't have a Guidestar account. I use an account I got off of Bugmenot. (It's amazing, by the way, that Bugmenot still exists; I first started using it in college, I think.)

    2. Can't one imagine that special events do something besides raise money? That the volunteer or staff time it takes to put them on are useful because they build community among supporters and participants, regardless of the money raised?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jon,

    I'm sorry you had trouble unsubscribing from our email list. I've removed your address from our database; if you continue having issues please email info@guidestar.org and I'll follow up.

    Thanks,
    Lauren Walinsky
    Web Marketing Manager
    GuideStar

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woah! You know, I've read articles about companies that monitor blogs to respond to complaints, but I've never actually seen it before.

    ReplyDelete