Monday, November 1, 2010

Plays well with others

I try not to find gender differences among babies and toddlers. I start with desiring non-gender specific clothing and haircuts. I try, when faced with a toddler who is obviously dressed as a boy or a girl, to picture them with their opposite gender, as a reminder that I unconsciously treat little boys and little girls differently. I am not read up on child psychology to know about real cognitive differences between male and female at, say, age 18 months, but I know enough about the science of gender differences to think of difference as merely the distance between the centerpoints of two normal distributions of traits, not as a guarantee that all girls are more [whatever] than all boys. I have deep expert knowledge of the psychology and physical abilities
of only an extremely small sample size of baby girls, and none of baby boys, and I am told by such unbiased sources as grandparents, friends of the family, and professional colleagues, that said baby girl is exceptional, which is to say non-representative of anyone but herself. So my broader observations of the reality or fiction-imposed-by-gendered-adults of gender differences among toddlers are a bit skewed.

Yesterday's run destination: trick or treat!

Yesterday's menu:
breakfast: banana smoothie and cookies
lunch: souplantation
dinner: quesadillas

No comments:

Post a Comment