Friday, October 22, 2010

Sleep like a fire

Sometimes getting the baby to sleep is like kindling a fire. After collecting all of the tools, setting the mise en place so that everything I might need is at hand, I try to cajol a gentle flame from the lightest of kindling. Watching carefully, seeing what direction things might go, ready to bounce around to the other side, listening, watching, breathing with her breath. Then once it is started, an added watchfulness, wariness, as if this newfound thing might snuff out at any moment and I'm back to square one. Until, truly caught and solidly set, I can breathe my own breath, sit back, take pride in a thing well done, and move on.

Yesterday's run destination: sprint around the block

Yesterday's menu:
breakfast: eggs
lunch: japanese curry
dinner: chili

No comments:

Post a Comment